Christmas Gift ideas for Grandma
Whether you grandmother has spoiled you rotten or not when you were a child, you can spoil her a bit for Christmas, by giving her a nice present. There are two things you should consider when buying her a present. One is that it can be something useful to her for the activities that she is involved in. The other is that it can be something that she will appreciate because of its sentimental merit.
Christmas Photo Book
A collage or photo book or scrap book which is a collection of information about her family will make your grandmother happy. Make it with a photograph each of her children and grandchildren, preferably on an important day in their life like wedding or graduation. Or you can make it a collection of poems and anecdotes and special memories, contributed by all members of the family. If grandma is likely to be interested, you can also start a family website starting from grandma and her husband, or if possible even starting from one generation earlier than her.
There is every possibility that at your grandmotherís age, it is her hobbies that are defining her existence. So you can give her things that will help her to excel in her hobby activity. For example, if baking is her hobby, she may be having regular baking implements like rolling pins and pans and measuring cups, but you can buy for her fancy molds with which she can bake a cake in the shape of a ship or a train. You can add to it readymade edible flowers, beads, and birds that will make cake decoration easy for her, and disposable candy molds, pastry molds, and donut molds which will lighten her work. Like that you can innovate for whatever hobby she is interested in.
Christmas Coupon Book
A coupon book with a series of promises will make an attractive gift for a grandma. You can yourself make enough promises for a coupon book, or you can get your brother or sister or cousins to add their promises to make the book bulky enough. The promises can include a picnic, a trip to a theater or a mall or whatever will interest her, an offer to mow her lawn, clean her house, plant tomatoes in her garden, or an afternoon spent in baking a cake with her. A day for a debate or discussion on a chosen topic will also be a good idea, if she will be interested in it.
Christmas Hitech Gitzmo
If your grandmother is not very tech-savvy, but wants to be more proficient, gift her a modern gizmo and offer her to teach it. iPad, iPod, iPhone, digital camera, video gamesÖ. the list is endless if you can afford it and have the patience to teach her how to use it.
How to Select a Gift for Your Grandmother
To Select a Gift for Your Grandmother can become fraught with difficulties because grandmothers donít really want for anything and are generally very sentimental. A Grandmother is very like a granddad; she knows you love her and loves to be pampered and looked after though putting on an act of not caring too much. She likes to be fussed over and made much of, something that you need to remember when buying a gift for her. She too will prefer a practical gift to an impractical one but unlike grandfathers will secretly appreciate an expensive gift more than a less expensive one. Of course, if you make something for her yourself, you will have given her the best gift in the world. Here are a few tips on giving your grandmother a gift to remember and cherish.
A few suggestions
- Before actually buying the gift it is better to find out what your grandmother really wants.
- Gift a prepaid phone card so that she is able to talk to you and your siblings without worrying about a whopping phone bill.
- Gift a subscription (for as long you can afford) for her favorite magazine or buy her a book about a subject that she is interested in. Be thoughtful and chose a large print.
- Present her with a gift basket full of her favorite foods, toiletries or beauty products.
- Put together a book (a scrap book would serve the purpose) about her life. Be sure to include pictures, newspaper cuttings and letters from old friends.
- If she likes jewelry give her with a pendant or a brooch or anything else that you can afford. Take care to see that it is not tacky.
- Make something for her with your own hands, anything - bake a cake, knit a sweater, crochet a scarf, or paint her a picture.
- Gift wrap the present attractively. Even grown ups and old people like the excitement of tearing the wrapping paper open to take out the gift.
- To choose a gift, keep in mind her personality, special needs and interests.
- Give her a gift certificate if you are unsure of what to get. She would enjoy a day at the spa or a gift of a manicure, pedicure or hair styling so get a gift certificate of her favorite salon.